Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Twig Wrapped Arch




Design By Draftroots

Conceived as a sketch on paper, this twig wrapped arch is a great visual feature for any landscape in need of vertical interest. It provides an inviting entrance to the backyard not to mention an alluring focal point. I used locally grown Alder branches approximately 12' long. The main posts are 4"x4", and the top arch consists of tiny pieces of birch and dogwood twig wrapped around a bent piece of round bar. This allowed me to build up the diameter to match the posts. I had a welder add some plates before I had begun to allow for the top bar to be attached to the posts. It took several days of cutting and pruning to collect my material, and an additional 2 days of wrapping and weaving. Upon completion I had one neighbor ask which big box store I had purchased it from, and another, upon hearing that I had weaved it myself said that I must be part bird. Design is freedom.

http://draftroots.com/

No comments: